All good things happen while procrastinating… In this case I now have emacs24 running in ChrUbuntu on my Chromebook!
Here’s what I did:
- Make sure to run
apt-get updateand refresh all of your packages.
- I used the update manager gui to update a ton of packages.
- Download the emacs 24 source: emacs-24.2.tar.gz
- There are a few other packages missing, which I learned through multiple
configuregrumblings. But this line should get you all the required dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libjpeg-dev libxpm-dev libgif-dev libtiff-dev libncurses-dev
- Then fire off the normal build steps of:
configure; make; sudo make install
- Ubuntu is just a keypress away with crouton (datko.net)
- Hello world from ChrUbuntu! (datko.net)
- Samsung’s Chromebook: Thankfully it has SSH… (datko.net)
- ChrUbuntu Trackpad fix (datko.net)